Home Products & Services

Practical and Helpful Tips:

Electrical Hazards that are Common at Home and Ways to Avoid Them

In our day to day lives, electricity helps use do numerous important things. Some of the uses of electricity are powering electrical appliances and lighting our homes. However, electricity can be DANGEROUS when not handled properly. Many people have died due to electrocution and other electrical hazards. Also, electricity has been the cause of damage to numerous properties. If people know about the common electrical dangers and ways to mitigate electrical hazards, the number of electrical deaths, injuries, and damages will reduce significantly. This is the right place for someone who wants to know about electrical hazards and how to avoid them.

It is DANGEROUS to handle electricity with wet hands. Using wet hands to handle electrical sockets and power outlets can result in electrical shock. In severe cases, handling electrical components with wet hands can lead to death, and even electric fire. You should make sure your hands are dry before you plug in a device into a socket or power outlet or to turn off and on switches. The other DANGEROUS thing that people do when handling electricity and electrical components is overloading power outlets. Finding out the amount of electricity a socket or outlet can handle before plugging in devices is important. When the devices plugged into power sockets and outlets are of high power voltage, it is considered overloading the power source. Electric fire is the main consequence of overloading power outlets and sockets.

Ensuring you do not plug in more than one power strip into a single socket is important because it prevents overloading. It is DANGEROUS when water comes into contact with electricity as it can lead to electrical fire hazards. Connecting electrical appliances near water sources should be avoided as it helps prevent water from coming into contact with electricity. If you realize there is somewhere that electric line and water are in contact, you should first switch off the power source at the main switch before you unplug the appliance. To prevent such things from happening in the future, you should hire a qualified electrician to repair the power line.

To avoid the cost of hiring a qualified electrician, some people decide to conduct electrical repairs in their homes on their own. Even though this is cost-effective, it is highly discouraged. Handling any electrical repairs in your house on your own is not recommended, especially if you are not a qualified electrician. DIY electrical upgrades and repairs can lead to electric fire or death when you or someone else gets electrocuted; thus, it is dangerous to conduct electrical upgrades, and repairs on your own. Poor wiring has caused numerous electric fires and deaths; hence it is DANGEROUS. Electric cables should be coated with an insulator and wired properly to prevent electrical dangers.